EMDR: enhancing the protocol for children and adolescents
Prerequisite: EMDR part one (introductory) training, with some experience using EMDR with clients.
EMDR therapy is an evidence-based psychological therapy recommended by the World Health Organisation (2013) for the treatment of PTSD in children, adolescents and adults. This training aims to provide participants with the knowledge and confidence to begin incorporating EMDR into their clinical work with children and adolescents. The presenter encourages participants to think flexibly and creatively about how to work with younger clients within an EMDR therapy framework. The training focuses on how to adapt language and techniques used in all phases of EMDR treatment to the child’s developmental age (0-4, 5-12, 13-18 years) and needs.
Trainees will be able to:
- Discuss theory underlying EMDR and evidence for its use with children.
- Provide children, adolescents, and parents a rationale for trauma-focused workand describe the procedures involved in EMDR therapy.
- Conceptualise simple and complex case presentations in an EMDR framework.
- Develop a treatment plan and integrate EMDR into a comprehensive childtreatment approach.
- Adjust each phase of EMDR to the developmental age and needs of the child.
- Understand the role of parents in EMDR therapy.
- Effectively use a Resource Development protocol and Cognitive Interweaves.
- Work with and treat preverbal trauma using an EMDR storytelling method.
Dr Sarah Schubert is a Clinical Psychologist who sees children, adolescents, adults, and families. Sarah entered private practice 4 years ago. Prior to this she worked with complex mental health issues in Community treatment settings. Sarah is published in the area of trauma therapy and ADHD. Her PhD was in the area of EMDR for the treatment of PTSD. She has won national and international awards for her research of EMDR and PTSD. Sarah is also involved in EMDR training for use with adults, and she is an accredited EMDR consultant.
Adelaide. 18-19 May 2017. Venue to be advised. Click here to register
Perth. 27-28 July 2017. Venue to be advised. Click here to register
Sydney. 31 July-1 August 2017. Venue to be advised. Click here to register
Melbourne. 2-3 August 2017. Venue to be advised. Click here to register
EARLYBIRD Fee $580 up to 4 weeks before date of workshop. STANDARD Fee $640 after that. GST included.