EMDR Comprehensive Details
When you register you will be sent your materials. These consist of two folders:
EMDR Training materials. 250 files (64 MB) of lectures, slides, videos, MP3s, readings. Some of these are absolutely required, others are optional. The aim is that you come to the workshop with a deep level of knowledge of EMDR that is simply not possible to deliver in a traditional workshop format.
EMDR Resource Library. 350 files (350 MB) of resource material not essential to the training. It includes folders on Attachment, DBT, Trauma, Dissociation, Personality Disorder and EMDR. There are therapist guides, client handouts, assessment instruments, background papers and EMDR research papers.
This is a self-paced, using the materials from the EMDR training folder. To cover the minimum required would take you around eight hours, to go into each topic in depth you could easily double that time.
Prior to the introductory workshop there are regular Internet based Q&A sessions conducted using GoToMeeting, a widely used commercial meeting platform. It is rather like Skype only with many more features. Attendance at these Q&A sessions is optional but is highly recommended. In these sessions we explore in depth any questions you have.
This runs 9.00 – 5.00 over three consecutive days. There is minimal didactic instruction during the workshop. The time is broken into modules in which I summarise the skill I am going to demonstrate, then demonstrate it with either a video or a live demonstration, then in small groups you do the same exercise, then we debrief the exercise.
The modules include
- building a schema (memory) map.
- Practicing conducting an attachment and trauma -focused history
- Doing an Affect Bridge to link events with similar emotions
- Practicing the preparation phase of EMDR
- Practicing eliciting appropriate negative and positive beliefs for use in EMDR. Clinicians generally find this one of the more challenging tasks so we spend more than an hour on this alone.
- Practicing the desensitisation and integration phases of EMDR, using scripted clients.
- Practice dealing with client abreactions.
- Practice closing an incomplete EMDR session.
- Practice identifying targets for future behavioural change.
- Having a personal experience of EMDR with a mildly upsetting personal memory.
Research has shown that many people attending a traditional training do not in fact go on to practice EMDR, perhaps because their level of competence and confidence deters them from trying EMDR with more complex clients when they don’t have simple trauma presentations to work with. The 2016 trainings have demonstrated conclusively that this program delivers the necessary level of competence and confidence. In our worst group in 2016 only 2/20 people had not used EMDR in the three months following the workshop. Our best groups showed 100% of trainees had been able to successfully use EMDR in clinical practice after the introductory workshop.
There is a lot more to doing EMDR therapy than simply “finger waggling”. In fact this aspect of EMDR is not the most important. Assessment, case conceptualisation and preparation for EMDR distinguish a good EMDR therapist from a mere EMDR technician. For this reason all EMDR associations worldwide include 10 hours of Case Consultation as a necessary component of a basic EMDR training, aimed at helping you integrate your training into your clinical practice.
This EMDR Comprehensive training is the only training in Australia that builds the CC component into the training package. In all other trainings you need to source your own consultation, and that is often quite expensive. Between four and six hours of Case Consultation are scheduled each week, and you need to log some Case Consultation time between the Introductory and Advanced workshops. All the CC sessions are held over the Internet.
This two-day workshop goes far beyond the requirements of the EMDR curriculum. As for the introductory workshop, we work through a number of practical modules covering
- Therapeutic interweave; a more therapist-active variant of EMDR
- preparing dissociation prone clients for EMDR
- preparing avoidant clients for EMDR
- practising specialised assessments for clients with chronic presentations
- integrating emotion-focused therapies is such as imagery and chair work into EMDR
- building emotional and relational resources for clients who lack them
- practising integrating “parts” work (ego state or schema modes) into EMDR
Practicing non-standard variants of EMDR for specialised populations.
Case Consultation sessions continue to be available after the Advanced Workshop. Your training is complete when you have logged 10 hours of Case Consultation time, although you may continue to attend these sessions for a full 12 months from your initial registration.
If you have any questions at all about this training program, do not hesitate to contact me. Email is fine but phone is better.
Phone: 0408 900 413 or 08 9336 3452 (remember I live in Perth which is two hours behind NSW/ VIC, and 3 hours behind during Daylight Saving)